Published on January 3rd, 2013 | by Jeff Herb3
YouTube Promotes Digital Citizenship
YouTube has just posted a series of videos that aim to help students learn not only more about the YouTube service, but also about being a good digital citizen across the internet as well.
The have developed a curriculum that is aimed towards secondary students (6th-12th grade). According to their website, the curriculum aims to educate students on the following topics:
- YouTube’s policies
- How to report content on YouTube
- How to protect their privacy online
- How to be responsible YouTube community members
- How to be responsible digital citizens
Google comments, “We hope that students and educators gain useful skills and a holistic understanding about responsible digital citizenship, not only on YouTube, but in all online activity.” I am thrilled that they have devoted resources to making these materials that really do need to be taught early on.
I have gone through the lessons and find them extremely relevant to what students encounter on the web. They are also fitting for the specified age ranges. Below I have included the lesson track that Google recommends with links to the materials.
Below is a list of lessons, and the recommended flow for delivery. Lessons are designed to fit within 50 minute classes, but can be adapted to fit your schedule:
- What Makes YouTube Unique – Basic facts and figures (40 minutes) – Teacher’s Guide Lesson 1,Slides Lesson 1
- Detecting Lies – (35 minutes) – Teacher’s Guide Lesson 2, Slides Lesson 2
- Safety Mode – (5 minutes) – Teacher’s Guide Lesson 3, Slides Lesson 3
- Online Reputation and Cyberbullying – (45 minutes) – Teacher’s Guide Lesson 4, Slides Lesson 4
- Policy – The Community Guidelines (20 minutes) – Teacher’s Guide Lesson 5, Slides Lesson 5
- Reporting content – Flagging (20 minutes) – Teacher’s Guide Lesson 6, Slides Lesson 6
- Privacy part 1 – (40 minutes) – Teacher’s Guide Lesson 7, Slides Lesson 7
- Privacy part 2 – (50 minutes) – Teacher’s Guide Lesson 8, Slides Lesson 8
- Copyright – (40 mins) – Teacher’s Guide Lesson 9, Slides Lesson 9
- Additional resources/Appendix including parent resources – Teacher’s Guide Additional Materials, Slides Additional Materials
Here is a link to the informational page:
Here is a link to the YouTube channel for the Curriculum: